Skip to content

Princeton University Store

Date of Commission: 1957

Date of Occupancy: 1958 Other Dates in Building's History:

1905: University Store opened in West College.

1926: West College remodeled and a western addition built specifically for the U-Store.

1948: Basement of West College expanded for bookstore.

March 1958: Cornerstone laid for new store.

October 1962: Student representatives appointed to University Store Board.

1963: Interior remodeling completed.

1966: Third floor expanded and publications moved.

1978: Proposal to move U-Store to Palmer Square defeated.

1987: Addition of a fourth floor by E. Clifford Durrel and Son.

Architect(s): Eldredge Snyder, Class of 1922

Other Agent(s): Matthews Construction Co. (builder of)

Materials: Limestone

Function: Bookstore; University Store

Style: Collegiate Gothic