Skip to content

Green Hall

Other Names: John C. Green Engineering Building, John C. Green Hall

Date of Commission: 1927

Date of Occupancy: 1928

Other Dates in Building's History:

1946: Dedication of murals depicting the life of Joseph Henry, "the father of electrical engineering".

1950-1951: One story brick laboratory added.

1957: Plans announced that engineering department would vacate Green Hall leaving the space for the humanities and social sciences.

1962: Psychology department moves in as well as the sociology and anthropology departments.

1963: Announcement that there wil be a renovation and addition to Green.

1964: Roudebush addition includes new brick facade, third story and new wing.

1994: Asbestos removed and interior renovations made.

Architect(s): Charles Zeller Klauder ; Day & Klauder, Philadelphia

Donor(s): Princeton Engineering Association ; Alumni and Friends

Named for: John Cleve Green

Materials: Limestone; Lockatong Argillite

Function: Classroom; Laboratory Spaces; Offices; Science Building

Style: Collegiate Gothic

Green Hall 1951 Addition

Date of Commission: 1950

Date of Occupancy: 1951

Architect(s): Voorhees Walker Foley and Smith

Donor(s): Edgar Palmer, Class of 1903

Named for: James E. Hayes

Other Agent(s): Matthews Construction Co. (builder of)

Green Hall 1964 Addition

Date of Commission: 1963

Date of Occupancy: 1964

Architect(s): Francis Whilshire Roudebush, Class of 1922

Other Agent(s): Matthews Construction Co. (builder of)