Skip to content

Edwards Hall

Other Names: "the poor man's dormitory"; "Poler's Paradise"

Date of Commission: 1879

Date of Occupancy: 1880

Other Dates in Building's History:

1879: President McCosh states there is a need for a "new and plain" dormitory. (TM, 16 June 1879)

1880: Approaching completion.

1985: Towers capped with tall, pyramidal roofs; intermediate roof raised and steepened to create fifth floor by the architectural firm of Fulmer & Wolf.

Architect(s): Prior & West

Donor(s): John Cleve Green

Named for: Jonathan Edwards

Other Agent(s): Edward D. Lindsey (building agent of)

Materials: Brownstone; Ohio Light Sandstone

Function: Dormitory

Style: High Victorian Gothic