Skip to content

Engineering Quadrangle

Date of Commission: 1960

Date of Occupancy: 1962

Other Dates in Building's History:

1973: Relocation of Aerospace and Mechanical Sciences to the Engineering Quadrangle.

1979: Energy Research Laboratory built and attached to south east corner of quadrangle.

1989: School received money for an addition to house the Photonics and Opto-Electronic Materials (POEM) center. Designed by Alan Chimacoff, the addition is a four story, 70,000 square foot extension off of the north east corner of the quadrangle (Duffield Hall).

1993: Addition completed and POEM moved in.

Architect(s): Voorhees, Walker, Smith, Smith & Haines of NY

Donor(s): $53 Million for Princeton Campaign

Named for: James E. Hayes ; George E. Beggs ; John T. Duffield ; Class of 1900 ; John Maclean ; Professor Cyrus Fogg Brackett

Other Agent(s): William Langstaff Crow, Class of 1933 (builder of)

Materials: Granite; Limestone; Red Brick

Function: Classroom; Computer Laboratory; Library; Offices; Science Building

Style: Modern

Engineering Quadrangle Energy Research Laboratory

Other Names: Center for Energy and Environmental Studies (CEES)

Date of Commission: 1979

Date of Occupancy: 1979

Architect(s): Sert Jackson and Associates

Donor(s): Oil and Chemical Companies ; John Sawyer, Class of 1947 ; Martin Herbert Eisenhart, Class of 1905

Materials: Concrete

Function: Laboratory Spaces; Science Building

Engineering Quadrangle POEM Center Addition

Date of Commission: 1989

Date of Occupancy: 1993

Other Agent(s): Alan Chimacoff (designer of)