Princeton University. Property of the Trustees of Princeton University.
Princeton’s first instructor in physical education and director of the gymnasium was George Goldie, a charismatic Scotsman with a full beard and large biceps who ranked among the greatest gymnasts of the era. Goldie outfitted the high-ceilinged second floor with gymnastic apparatus, climbing ropes, and weights, and under his influence, gymnastics became a prominent intramural activity. He remained director of the gymnasium until 1911, by which time Bonner-Marquand had been leveled to make way for Campbell Hall and was replaced by the larger, more-modern University Gymnasium. At the age of 75, Goldie completed one last giant swing on the high bar before turning in his resignation.