1801: Professor's House
Side View (photo circa 1870)
In the Trustees meeting of April, 1801, Enos Kelsey, the college treasurer, reported that $2,273.21 had been spent constructing the third permanent structure at the college, a house "for the accommodation of a Professor of the College." Commissioned in 1799 as a residence for John Maclean Sr., this house faced onto Nassau Street and served as a pendant to the President's House. During the tenancy of Philip Lindsley, Ashbel Green's Vice President, it became known as the Vice President's House. The house was next occupied by John Maclean Jr. It was demolished or removed in the early 1870s.
Source: Princeton University Archives, Mudd Library, Grounds & Buildings, Box 67